I found this recipe on Facebook long time ago, and did it successfully several times, so I want to share it with everyone. This recipe is suitable with ones who does not have traditional ingredients like Mascarpone cheese and Ladyfingers.
Why Laughing Cow cheese? This cheese product is the oldest and most popular cheese product in Vietnam, you can find it almost everywhere in cities. I have seen it since I was a small kid. Although the development of economy in Vietnam has brought many other international diary products, Laughing Cow Cheese has still impressed deeply in memory of people.
Ingredients (All ingredients are easily found in Vietnam)
- One pack of Milo chocolate powder (about 20gr)
- 600gr whipping cream
- Simple slices of sponge cake
- 6 pieces of Laughing Cow cheese
- 100gr sugar
- Black coffee (instant Vietnamese 2 in 1 coffee OR dark roast coffee brewed with a metal drip filter – “phin”)
- 1 small cup of rum/brandy/Bailey’s/Kahlua (your favorite choice!). I use brandy.
- Cream is whipped by hand or by mixer (equipment must be completely dry).
- Melt cheese and sugar by microwave in 40 seconds, then let it cool down.
- Mix melted cheese and 1/2 cup of brandy with whipping cream.
- Mix the other half of brandy with black coffee, to create a coffee liquor mixture.
- Cut the sponge cake into layers (thick or thin, depending on your taste).
- Gradually spread one layer of cake, then one layer of coffee liquor, then one layer of whipping cream, till the last sponge cake layer.
- Sprinkle Milo on the top layer. Add chocolate shavings if you like.
- Put into refrigerator overnight, until it curdle and and adhere, with moderate tenderness.